Make Time For Momma Has Only 1 Rule
Ever played 2 truths and a lie? It’s a game where 3 statements are presented, with 1 true statement and 2 statements that are lies. Let’s play!
Out of the following 3 statements, can you spot the 1 rule of maketimeformomma.com (MTFM)?
- The rules are, there are no rules.
- You do not talk about MTFM.
- You have to believe that taking time for yourself is important.
- (Fight Club reference.) There are rules to everything in life. We’re adults. It’s time that we accept this one.
- (Fight Club reference.) PLEASE TALK ABOUT MTFM. Eventually, we will live in a world where moms are encouraged to take the time that they need for themselves on the reg. SHARE MTFM with all of the moms in your life.
- If you thought that #3 sounded like a logical rule, you are correct! Congratulations! I give you all of my admiration for getting this one right. Sorry- that’s all I’ve got for you today.
You have to believe that taking time for yourself is important.
That is all. Having this belief is your start to making changes, however large or small, to get back to feeling like you. It’s pretty simple (and can be kind-of complicated, but in a really great way). If you believe that you are worth being part of the juggle of every day life, than MTFM is for you.
Having this belief will help you during the hard times, because there will be some. There will be days when you can’t eek out a minute to go for a walk or a sliver of brain-power to call a friend because thebabyiscrying and yourcoworkerdidn’tfollowthrough and thedishwasherpouredgallonsofwateronthekitchenflooragain and thebabysitterdidn’tshowup and… Or maybe it’s just a regular day and you are too tired to follow through with your plans. Having your belief in self-care will help you get back on the wagon when you can.
In MTFM, you will get:
- self-care inspiration
- resources for incorporating self-care into your day/week/month/whenever you can
- ideas for self-care activities
- my stories- both success and failures
- practical strategies for making self-care part of your routine
- support with advocating for yourself with your loved ones
A few other things to remember:
Come as you are. We (I) don’t judge. You’ve got 3 kids, no partner, 2 jobs, and other family obligations to consider- I get it! Life is life. What we do with it is within our control. Maybe you can squeak out 5 minutes of self-care at lunch tomorrow (a short walk? zoning out to a TV show? a quick chat with a friend?)? Perhaps taking the long way home from work today to listen to a podcast is what you need? Whatever it is, do what you need to do! MTFM encourages self-care on your own terms.
Start off with whatever resources you can. Don’t wait until you can afford that long weekend away with 10 of your closest friends- if you truly believe that taking time for yourself is important, do it now! Do what is within reach for you- a mani/pedi, getting a new book out of the library and dedicating time to read, booking a flight to Bali… Don’t let your resources (or lack of) be a crutch for putting off taking care of yourself.
MTFM isn’t here to prescribe your self-care or tell you what to do. The purpose of MTFM is to inspire you, to shine a spotlight on self-care, and to encourage you to give yourself permission to take the time that you need. But, to truly harness the power of MTFM, you NEED TO BELIEVE…
Maybe you’re here without any intention or drive to make changes right now.
That’s ok, too. Perhaps its 2 am and your newborn just fell back asleep but you can’t yet and you’re sucked into the interwebs, just here to browse. Know that your MTFM family is here for when you are ready.
I don’t recommend the movie Fight Club (too violent for me), but I do recommend following the 1 rule of MTFM. Your sanity depends on it.
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase using this link.